David Chipperfield Architects’ London office (DCAL) is looking to appoint a Contracts Manager. The practice is seeking an experienced candidate with legal and commercial experience to negotiate and review contracts, agree design scope, resourcing, fees and expenses, and manage professional insurance cover. The desired candidate must be adept at working on international and UK based architectural contracts, across a variety of typologies and levels of complexity.
Key role and responsibilities
Contract reviews and negotiation
- Use legal and commercial experience to review and negotiate contracts, collateral warranties, NDAs and legal documents in order to agree suitable protection for DCAL in its agreements with Clients and Sub-consultants.
- Draft and amend design contracts, collaboration agreements with other consultants to protect DCAL’s interests, including structuring a project contract to best protect DCAL’s interest and reduce risks.
- Discuss contract issues internally and with clients and collaborators and use judgement to recommend the correct resolution of issues.
- Work with external and overseas legal and insurance advisors.
- Push for contract documentation to be agreed in a timely manner.
- Work closely with the Leadership team to understand key opportunities requiring review of contract documentation.
- Prepare complete contract documentation for internal sign off and then work with the Leadership team to present and agree with Client.
Agree appropriate design scopes, resources, fees and expenses
- Work with the Leadership team to capture the appropriate scope, deliverables and timelines for DCAL in agreements.
- Work with the Leadership team to define the suitable team size to carry out the design work.
- Work with the Leadership and Finance teams to generate the internal project budget.
- Analyse and recommend suitable fee levels based on fee benchmarking and recognition of DCAL’s value proposition.
- Analyse contracts and make amendment recommendations to ensure DCAL specific process orientated approach to project development is protected and embedded.
- Work with the Leadership and Finance teams to agree a suitable expenses estimate.
- Provide a summary of the key obligations under the contract.
- Ensure Professional Insurance cover matching contract terms, including the management and communication with Leadership team and Project teams.
- Renewal and set-up of Professional Insurance ensuring the best cover and financial terms.
- Manage Professional Insurance potential claims notifications and claims if necessary.
- Renew Public Liability and Employers Liability in collaboration with the Operations team.
- Keep all appointments updated and filed.
- Contribute actively to quality management processes to archive and file project information.
- Maintain a contract risk register.
- Provide training and CPDs to staff on legal and contract issues.
Skills and experience
- Experience carrying out legal and commercial contract reviews, highlighting issues and risks. (minimum ten years’ experience).
- Strength of character to handle high pressure situations such as Client contract negotiations, presenting DCAL’s position on contract matters in a firm but amicable manner.
- Judgement to recommend possible ways to resolve contract issues.
- Experience monitoring project appointments and management processes and contracts risk register.
- Drive to push the resolution of fee and contract issues in a timely manner.
- Excellent drafting skills to prepare and amend commercial and legal documentation, such as design agreements, consultant collaboration agreements, NDAs, fee proposals, scope of services.
- Awareness of scope and resourcing requirements needed to carry out complex international design projects.
- Experience in estimating design fees and expenses.
- Excellent communication skills to present any fee or contract issues in a clear and concise manner.
- Organised to keep contract documents and fee information in good order.
- Personable to build relationships with prospective Clients and consultants.
- Experience using Rapport project management system is desirable.
Please apply via this link (external).
Please note that we do not accept emailed applications.