The site of the former Bötzow Brewery is situated within walking distance of Berlin’s Alexanderplatz and Friedrichshain public park. Since its initial opening in 1885, the Bötzow family attached great importance to the running of a modern brewery. This is reflected in the co-existence of the representative production yard together with a public beer garden, which became a popular destination for excursions. In 1886, the brewery was appointed purveyor to the royal court. Following numerous extensions and conversions, the grounds were damaged in parts during World War II, the entrepreneur’s villa and serving building were completely eradicated. The Bötzow ensemble was left extensively derelict for decades and was listed as a protected site in 1990.
The masterplan for the site transforms the Bötzow Brewery into a public destination within the city fabric again. Traces that use and time has left behind will be preserved. The existing buildings are being refurbished in close cooperation with the heritage authorities to accommodate their new functions. The evolution of the complex and the essential characteristics of Prussian industrial architecture as well as an evaluation of the extended building elements play a prominent role in this transformation. The historic vaults that establish the impressive, underground foundations of the former brewery will be linked at selected points with the world above, while the mysterious atmosphere below remains intact.
Where the original open-air garden was once situated, the grounds now open up to the city with a new, expansive beer garden. The natural topography of the site creates an intriguing spatial sequence towards the central square located to the rear of the beer garden. This square is framed by the historic buildings as well as the planned new buildings, which make reference in their placement to the former ensemble.
The first four existing buildings, including the former boiler house, have adopted new functions and are in use since 2018. The Future Lab of the medical technology company Ottobock will provide a pioneering location for future digital developments. International patients will also be treated on the site. This link between entrepreneurship and public life perpetuates the tradition of the brewery site. In a second building stage the remaining three buildings, including the horse stables, will be converted and refurbished. The historic storage halls will predominantly be transformed into co-working spaces. The corresponding former brewery basement will house a food market including a catering area and further cellars will accommodate fitness and wellness facilities.
The masterplan for the site also encompasses four new buildings and an underground car park. A restaurant building will be located in the beer garden, two new buildings will be provide further co-working areas and a residential and office building will be built in the entrance area at Prenzlauer Allee.