Skip to content

The East Building of the Saint Louis Art Museum is celebrating the tenth anniversary of its opening this year. This major extension to the 1904-designed gallery in Forest Park added 21 galleries, increasing the museum’s gallery space by 30 percent. The design prioritised the use of natural light and visual connections to the surroundings. The deep coffered ceiling, which spans the entire building, filters daylight into the rooms below while large floor-to-ceiling windows provide views towards the park. Together, these daylighting strategies reduced the museum’s overall energy consumption by 20% and the building achieved LEED Gold accreditation, which was rare for museums at that time.

Image by Simon Menges
View project