DCA Berlin is supporting the Alexander Haus project and has drawn up a masterplan for a new seminar complex, to be built entirely from wood.
Alexander Haus is a small lakeside house in Groß Glienicke, near Potsdam, dating from 1927. Built by the Jewish physician Dr Alfred Alexander who fled Germany in 1936, the house narrowly avoided demolition in 2005 after falling into disrepair. A campaign by members of the Alexander family and local residents led to the house becoming a protected monument in 2014. It is currently undergoing restoration and, combined with further development of the site, the complex will become a centre for ‘Education and Reconciliation’, hosting events, seminars and workshops with the aim of bringing people from different backgrounds, cultures and religions together.
Sketch © Alexander Schwarz for David Chipperfield Architects